Tuesday 17 October 2017

The Trove Pattern Project - Reviewing Free Vintage Hat Patterns

It's been more than three years since I attempted the first vintage millinery pattern that I found in the pages of the Australian Women's Weekly, and two years since I started my official attempt to test and review all of the free hat patterns I could find in the Trove archive. In that time, I've tried 8 sewing patterns and my sister and I have also reviewed a crochet snood pattern, ranging from the 1920s to the 1950s. That seems a little weak, but I've also made two humans so, you know, back off.

Anyway I decided that it was time to create a page to bring all that information together into one place, and also share the links to some of the future projects waiting in the wings (there are many many patterns I've found, so I'll add to this more as I go). So here it goes, the master list!

Reviewed Patterns

NB: Links here will take you to my review, and the link to the original articles will be in those posts.


1954 "Butterfly Cap", a velvet bow on a wired buckram foundation, from the Australian Women's Weekly.


1954 Scarf Hat, a simple fabric hat, from the Australian Women's Weekly


1949 Pixie Hat, felt or velvet pixie style hat with a pointed crown and turned up brim, from the Australian Women's Weekly.


1953 Scarf Hat, a draped jersey scarf with a padded headband, from the Australian Women's Weekly.


1939 Doll's Hat, a tilted cone-shaped hat on a buckram foundation, from Table Talk.


1934 "Vagabond Beret", an asymmetrical fabric beret, from the Sydney Morning Herald.


1930 "Smart Little Turban", a simple tied turban, from the Brisbane Courier.


1954 Beach Hat, a simple fabric hat that opens flat and does up with a button, from the Australian Women's Weekly.


1942 Bow Snood, a crocheted snood with bow, from the Australian Women's Weekly.

Future Projects

 NB: Links here will take you to the original article and pattern/instructions.
1922 "Easy to make turban", silk or satin turban on a stiff foundation, from the Sydney Mail.


1930 Bandeau Hat, a felt and ribbon hat, from the Western Mail


1913 "A new hat for 1913", four corner hat, from The Sunday Times.


1961 "Six-rose hat", from the Australian Women's Weekly


1934 Five hats from one pattern, from The Home Maker.


1951 "Bed of Violets", from the Australian Women's Weekly.


1950 "Quaker Bonnet", from the Australian Women's Weekly.


1952 Ribbon pixie hat, from the Australian Women's Weekly.


1954 Velvet beret, from the Australian Women's Weekly.


1933 "A Smart hat for sport", from the Sydney Morning Herald.


1912 "Pierrot Hat", from the Brisbane Courier.


1960 Fur hat, from The Australian Women's Weekly.


1915 Velvet Hat, from the Leader.

I'm keen to hear which of those patterns you would be most excited to see me try next. And if you make (or have previously made) any of these, I'd love to hear from you too and would be happy add a link to your creations.

If you are interested in making hats, make sure you are signed up to the newsletter to keep up with future reviews and also the upcoming launch of my own first hat sewing pattern!
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. All of the hats you've made look fabulous, but my favourite is the red turban. Of the ones you have planned, the 1930 bandeau hat looks really interesting, I may have to try that one myself. I'm definitely bookmarking that one and the five hats from 1934 for future reference. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been fascinated with that bandeau hat for ages, I really must try it!

      Delete
  2. You've done amazingly! I am bowled over by your hat-making talents. It's a lot to accomplish in a short time (when making humans was a priority). I love some of the potential future projects there, the six-rose hat is very sweet.
    Looking forward to following more of your adventures x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I agree that the six rose hat has a lot of potential.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, you did such a great job. You are one talented lady. Thanks for sharing.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh your future hat projects are going to be amazing! Can't wait to see them all at the finish line :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see all these projects together. I think it is great to have got so many done. The coming projects look fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 8 hats plus a crochet snood is nothing to sneeze at! Thanks for putting all of these in one place, and for sharing the hats. I enjoy seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Honestly I hope that by putting them all (including future ones) in one place it will be easier for me to get on with it!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hi. The hats I've shown here were made by me from the patterns you can find in the links in the post.

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig