Tuesday 28 November 2017

Sisterhood of the Travelling Hat: Tanith

Three years ago I had a newborn baby and I made a felt hat that would travel the world.

 
It was a journey that I expected to take a year, that ended up taking three, when it should have taken two. It's been a year since Adelaide, as we named the hat, came home to me, hand delivered by my sister, who was the last person she visited.


At that time I was pregnant, exhausted, not fitting into most of my clothes, and not really feeling like being the subject of photos. I did plan to do it anyway, many times, but I made more and more excuses. Time. Energy. Wardrobe. Body Image. Hair. Heat. Rain. Then T-Rex was born and naturally it became even more difficult to get a photo shoot done, and life was even more exhausting. Plus, after all the wait, I felt I should make it a really good shoot. A really good outfit. A special location.


In the end, it wasn't any of those things. But enough was enough! While T-Rex napped, we went outside and my husband took photos of me in front of our deck and a bush in our neighbour's front yard while Teacup played and picked flowers.


And it was enough. Of course it was. I should have known.


Because I have no hairstyling skills, I decided to try the hat with a snood, and I really like how they look together. I threw my Evelyn Wood velvet coat/dress over a black shirt dress and there you have it.


Adelaide came home with many souvenirs, including her decorated hat box. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with her after she came home, but I think I'll have to pack her back up with her treasures and keep her for the future, for my daughter perhaps.

I love how Adelaide's journey is one of so many stories. 8 countries, 18 different women. Some of the bloggers who participated are no longer blogging, no longer present in the vintage community. Some have become close online friends, some I have since met in person as well. And the newborn baby who napped while I blocked this felt is now a chatty three-year old, with a baby brother.

Thank you all so much.
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Aw, what a lovely story of a gorgeous hat! I love the shot of the back of your hair with the snood, it looks so 1940s. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was fretting over what to do with my hair and this provided the perfect solution.

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely story indeed. You should print a copy of this blog post to keep in the box with the rest of the souvenirs! I too love the hat with the snood, it was a great choice befitting the hat's home-coming. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story and hat.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pairing it with the snood- it looks perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really glad I went for the snood with it.

      Delete
  5. Lovely to see you reunited with the hat and I think you got some great photos. I think you should definitely keep it as a piece of family history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's really nice to have something so special - it feels like the beginning of a piece of history.

      Delete
  6. With the snood for the win! Gosh this was such a good idea and it's now back with it's original owner. I have enjoyed all your posts of the travelling hat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig