Saturday 9 September 2017

Snoods from other decades

Snoods really hit their stride in the 1940s, but that isn't the only decade in which they appeared. Since this week is "Era hopping" for Snoodtember, why don't we have a little look at some inspiration from other times?

1950s snoods
Left: The Sun, 26 Nov 1950, Right: The West Australian, 4 Sep 1950
A lot of references to snoods in the 1950s (in the Australian publications at least) turn to being about something that is more of a scarf or head wrap style. The one you see on the right above is interesting as it is in that scarf style, but appears to still be in a netted material. Plus it has pompoms.

For the women with short hair who miss out on snoods, the left image is a navy blue satin evening snood from Schiaparelli, with a jewelled clasp at the neck.

1960s snoods
The Australian Women's Weekly, 31 Mar 1965

I love these 1960s snoods. The hair went big, and so did the snoods. I do love the mushroom shapes, but my favourite sixties hats are the fluffy fur ones, so I love that middle one! (Plus, it's another style you can wear with short hair.) Although, as the article says, all of them are tops.

1960s snoods
The Australian Women's Weekly, 31 Mar 1965
A little more unusual, and so very 60s! That chenille version on the left is so perfectly suited to the era, while still really staying true to the 40s idea.

1960s snood patterns
The Australian Women's Weekly, 31 Mar 1965
That issue also included two snood patterns, one knitted and one crocheted, which are really still in the classic 1940s style, although the second one is rather larger.

1970s snoods
The Australian Women's Weekly, 17 May 1978

Hello 1970s! OK, apart from the make-up, not much has changed, right?

1990s snoods
Vogue, 1 Oct 1994

I can't call a haute couture photoshoot a real snood comeback, but I had to share this one anyway. Why not wear your snood with some GIANT FEATHERS. You know you want to.

I hope you've enjoyed this little trip through some less expected decades and looks from the snood world, and that maybe these images have provided some inspiration too!
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. Thanks for this post. It is great seeing all the photos of snoods from the past.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun! I've never participated in Snoodtember, but I do love how they look. My hair is getting a bit longer now, so I'd like to find a proper one to try, although the short hair snood inspiration is very appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to find the short hair ideas, because in future years I may have need of them!

      Delete
  3. I love that you do this every September, it's always interesting to read all about snoods! However, I'm afraid I cannot wear them myself. I have the most unbelievably thick hair and absolutely tons of it too and snoods, along with many, many other hair accessories, never ever stay in my hair. I've tried snoods countless times but the weight of my hair just pulls them out! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully in future years I will have a bit more time and energy to participate myself!

      That's really interesting. I had never thought about the weight of hair being an issue. What a shame!

      Delete
  4. Really interesting. I tried a snood but didn't have enough hair to fill it! Maybe I've just not found the right one... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely some variation! I have less hair this time around and some of mine aren't that good anymore, the bigger, chunkier ones. But the two my sister made me are still great. I think ones made with finer yarns are better, they seem to be less bulky? Not sure!

      Delete
  5. I never really thought about snoods outside of the 40's (or it's earlier years)until now. Not sure if I'm a big fan of the 60's versions but they sure were clever with how they wore them. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It is interesting to see them worn in a different way.

      Delete
  6. I really like the big 1960's snoods although I don't know if I have enough hair to fill them up! I like the scarf style with pompoms too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I wouldn't either! Maybe with a lot of teasing!

      Delete
  7. What a great post! I never thought about them outside of the renaissance, Civil War era, or 1940s, but this clearly shows otherwise! How neat!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janey! I'm glad you found it interesting.

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig