Wednesday 5 October 2016

The Little Hat Project 2016 "Chaos"

"The Little Hat Project" is a charity project created, among others under the "Hats for Happiness" banner, by Waltraud Reiner, milliner, teacher and founder of Torb & Reiner Millinery supplies. Milliners around the world donate tiny hats that are sold in an auction, and featured in a book. The funds from both go towards mental health research and projects. (You can read more about how it all started here.)


This year the theme is "Chaos" and this is my entry. Actually I made it last year but for various reasons the project was deferred for 2015 and my hat waited for it's chance this year.


It ended up having a bit of a "The Birds" feel to it, but I think I just can't help that sometimes. The birds are supposed to be nesting, as the centre of chaos in my life then, and now, was the chaos of parenthood. In any case, I'm really proud of this hat, and keen to add some birds to more hats.


Here are some of my favourites from the auction. Clockwise from top left, the milliners are Stephen Jones, Denise Innes, Liana Hastie and Lindsay Whitehead.

If you read this when it is published, the auction is ending in a few days time! You can see the full album on Facebook here, and my hat is here.
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I love it! But then it has birds, blackbirds, which I adore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My your hat is fantastic!! good job. Birds on hats are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a wonderful cause and an amazing hat to support it! I get a real 1940s vibe, which was a really fun era for hats. Lovely work, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was going for a 40s-ish look. It had to be a small hat and that was where my mind went right away, for small but still wearable. And I'm really happy that I got to contribute to a good cause too.

      Delete
  4. It's simply magnificent! I'm in love with this gorgeous, elegant and very creative "Birds" inspired hat, dear Tanith. What a thoughtful and generous creation for you to put towards this immensely worthy cause. I hope that it sells for a hefty sum and help to bring a lot of happiness to those in need.

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! It has done quite well for the charity, and gone to someone I know so that is extra nice. It means I get to see it again!

      Delete
  5. What a stunning hat! I really like the look and the ideas behind it. The birds are fab. It is very generous of you to donate it to charity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate-Em! I'm just glad it did ok in the auction! And I do love the birds, I'd love to make more bird hats soon :)

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig