Tuesday 8 December 2015

"Squirrel and Oak" Whimsy Design for December

Back in August, when I made the Scottie Dog whimsy, I asked for suggestions of other animals that would be cute on the veil of a design. Kate-Em suggested squirrels, paired with acorns, and I just loved the idea. I had been contemplating acorns on a whimsy for a while, and squirrels were the perfect complement as well as being an animal I love.


There are just a few squirrels running around the bottom of the veil, and one sitting at the top near the cluster of leaves and acorns.


My acorns were inspired by some amazing ones my sister made in an embroidery class. I was going to show you a picture of this inspiration, except that it would look like one of those "Saw it on Pinterest. Nailed it." memes and my pride is too sensitive. Still, I think my method was likely quicker, and it was fun to make. Anything that involves blocking felt over beads has got to be good. It felt like I was making the world's tiniest hats.


 It has ended up very autumnal, which I like, even it is currently Autumn in zero places in the world.


My lovely friend Ruanne, who you have seen model for me many times in the past, came up to the mountains with her family for a picnic in the park combined with a modelling session. I'm sure I've said it before, but I have the best friends!


Now I've done something tricky with this whimsy, which I've been planning to do for a while, but I hadn't quite worked out how to make it work. While whimsies are fun and very glamorous, they aren't necessarily something for everyday. So I made this one a bit more versatile.



Ta-da! The top part is a clip that can be removed and worn separately, for when a veil is just too much. Or you aren't in the mood for squirrels? Is that possible?


We also shot some other pieces, including the Christmas mistletoe whimsy, which I had only briefly shown you along with the Mistletoe Brooch tutorial.



It matches so beautifully with this blouse, which Ruanne made herself (from the Sencha by Collette Patterns, I believe).


Working out what type of hat wearer she is. We decided on "The Sophisticated Young Married or Businesswoman".



All of which brings us to the conclusion of the Bring Back the Whimsy series!

Bumblebees, Whimsy Tutorial, Choc Chip, Autumn Leaves, Leopard Print is a Neutral, Strawberry Blossoms, Ladybugs, Scottie, Bridal Whimsy, Candy Corn, Mistletoe, Squirrel and Oak.

Looking at them all together makes me feel pretty pleased with myself! I had such a great time exploring fun novelty themes, trying out new trim ideas and techniques, getting reacquainted with fimo, cutting shapes out of felt, working out how to make bees, and playing with veiling. I'm looking forward to bringing some of these themes and techniques into future hats and hair accessories too.

Thank you all for joining me on my year of whimsies. I hope you had fun and maybe even made yourself a whimsy following the tutorial.

Do you have a favourite from the series? I would have a hard time picking one myself!
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. You have done such an amazing job with each and every one of these whimsies, very much including this incredibly darling fall themed one (that I'm beyond in love with). Not only in creating them, but in helping to foster "whimsy awareness" and bring this classic accessory into the spotlight again. Thank you for a year that was, if you'll permit a play on words, especially whimsy-ical and truly, truly awesome to share with you and each of these darling netted toppers.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica. I'm may not have brought the whimsy back into fashion, but I have brought it into the minds of my readership at least, so that's a good accomplishment!

      I'm glad you have enjoyed the designs this year, and I did indeed tried to make it whimsical!

      Delete
  2. I think your acorns are lovely. The felt caps are a wonderful alternative to the needle lace ones, and more in line with the rest of the whimsy. I adore this one and think the detachable clip is a very clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I stick to what I'm good with :P

      Delete
  3. How lovely that you went with my suggestion, it is fabulous seeing your interpretation of it and I think it is just fantastic. Your friend models both whimsies perfectly. I love the removable clip idea - so clever. This series has been so interesting, what a marvellous collection you have built up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you again for the suggestion! The style does seem to suit her, doesn't it? I'm glad you've enjoyed the series, I have fun doing it :)

      Delete
  4. Aaah! Those squirrels are so cute, I love this whimsy. And having a detachable comb is a great idea, I could see that being really useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! It seemed like a feature I would appreciate so I thought others might too!

      Delete
  5. Really pretty I love the whole look
    Retro rover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ruanne has a lovely wardrobe to play with!

      Delete
  6. Detachable clip? Genius! I adore multipurpose items, and this one is sooo cute! What a fabulous job you've done with this series Tanith, and I'm not sure that this one isn't my favourite of the lot! ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was pretty pleased with the idea, and although it took me a while to figure it out, I'm happy with the result :)

      Delete
  7. Another awesome Whimsy!! You seriously come up with the best ideas Tanith. I passed this one onto a friend to see because she had a pet squirral for awhile and this would be perfect for her.

    My favorite was the Scottie one but honestly they were all great. If you ever do this series again, do a Canadian one (maple syrup, beavers, mounties and maple leafs hehehe).

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz! A Canadian whimsy sounds like a lot of fun - and I do love maple syrup :)

      Delete
  8. really pretty and autumny if thats a word

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I'm sure it can be a word if you want it to be :)

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig