Tuesday 24 November 2015

Christmas hats, hair flowers, clips and combs

I haven't shared a lot in the way of small hair clips or flowers on the blog, and to be honest they are not exactly my main priority. But they are fun and I wear them occasionally myself, and make some for my bricks-and-mortar shops and markets (ok, market, singular).

This year I really wanted to make some Christmas items, and although I had a lot of grand ideas that will perhaps one day come to fruition, it was more realistic to make some smaller items. I had a lot of fun with these.


Since Christmas is approaching at a rapid pace, I wanted to get these done and into the shops by mid November. This rush meant, however, that I didn't yet have a model lined up, so for the first time I did a no-model photoshoot. As well as Edie and my other trusty mannequins, I relied on themed props.

www.etsy.com/au/listing/257560642/christmas-gingerbread-man-hair-flower

It was heaps of fun! And I found a LOT of Christmas crap without having to actually get any boxes out of the shed. I'm a little surprised, but I shouldn't be. And also I'm a little proud.

www.etsy.com/au/listing/257459423/peppermint-swirl-christmas-candy-hair

Product photography advice seems generally to be geared towards smaller items. People are always telling you to build your own little light box and set up white background and use a bit of a table and props and I always think "Do you realise how big a hat with a pheasant feather is?" Nevertheless, the information was sitting around in my brain and I finally got to use it!

www.etsy.com/au/listing/257562066/mistletoe-a-christmas-vintage-style

Although don't you hate it when you look at the photos afterwards and realise something wasn't sitting flat and it's that way in EVERY photo?


I still have a long way to go with photography and so much to learn, but I enjoy it immensely and love it when a photo turns out just right. I'd love to get from "not bad" to "actually quite good" one day.

www.etsy.com/au/listing/257564462/winter-themed-miniature-top-hat-in-grey

This is actually an older piece, from my "make all the miniature top hats" phase, but I still really like it and thought that Christmas was a good time to list it!

www.etsy.com/au/listing/257560642/christmas-gingerbread-man-hair-flower

I'm still hoping to squeeze in a modelling session but until then, these will have to do. For the ones that are listed on Etsy, the photos link to the listing. The others will probably be going into bricks-and-mortar shops soon.
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. These are really cute! I love that second to last one, seems like just the thing for a fun holiday party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love that you always pick the most out-there hat :)

      Delete
  2. Really cute. I'm a huge fan of Christmas corsages. These are very similar to my favorite 1950s ones
    Retro rover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh some of them could be really fun worn as a corsage!

      Delete
  3. I cannot say the Christmas supplies surprised me either!
    These are so cute and full of cheer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you did have to live with me, you poor thing :P

      Delete
  4. As you already know I love these and am very excited about my purchase! I liked your photos on your Etsy listings, they gave a really good sense of the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that feedback. I worked really hard on these ones so I'm glad it was worth it! :)

      Delete
  5. Be still my holiday hat/hair accessory loving heart, these are awesome! What a splendid, festive array of beautiful creations, sweet Tanith. I especially love the one with peppermint candies. Tres cute! :)

    Big hugs & joyful holiday season wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Jessica! I love that one too. In fact, I made one for myself with the candies that didn't turn out so well! I'm sure no one will notice.

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig